Trucks are the largest vehicles on the road and can cause catastrophic injury or even death if involved in an accident. The truck injury lawyers at Strauch Green & Mistretta, PC have the experience and knowledge required to handle complicated personal injury claims resulting from catastrophic accidents.
What is Considered a Catastrophic Accident?
A truck accident is catastrophic when the injuries are severe enough to require serious medical procedures and long-term/life-long treatment. These types of injuries typically inhibit daily life, are financially draining, are physically painful, and cause emotional turmoil for the victim and the victim’s family. If you experience a catastrophic injury as the result of a truck accident, it’s imperative to seek a truck injury lawyer immediately.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Trucks are large, heavy vehicles that can cause extreme damage, especially at high speeds. Common injuries that stem from truck accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury – Blunt force to the head can destroy brain tissue and can seriously affect cognitive and motor functions.
- Spinal Cord Injury – If a victim becomes crushed in an accident, a spinal cord injury could become paralyzed.
- Amputation – The loss of a leg or arm due to a truck accident could lead to serious limitations on a victim’s life and livelihood.
Other injuries could include internal organ damage, burns and disfigurement. It’s important to consider the long-term effects of these injuries if you or a loved one are involved in a truck accident. A truck injury lawyer will help you determine what will be required and ensure that you are made whole by the responsible party.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the most common reason for a truck accident is truck driver-related. This means the driver fell asleep or was otherwise incapacitated or inattentive. Other causes include:
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance – Trucks are on the road for miles, often carrying heavy loads. If not properly maintained, they are subject to brake failure, tire blowouts, and other mishaps that cause catastrophic accidents.
- Improper Loading – If a truck’s cargo is not loaded or properly secured, it can come loose and cause accidents.
- Poor Weather Conditions – If a truck driver is not adequately prepared for extreme weather conditions, such as snow or rain, accidents are more likely to occur.
Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer in Raleigh or Winston-Salem
According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, there were over 14,000 accidents involving trucks of some type in 2016. If you or a loved one has been the involved in a catastrophic truck accident, contact the experienced truck accident lawyers at Strauch Green & Mistretta, PC by calling 919 278 7453 or completing our short form below.